Even on my way to work this morning, I was reminiscing the brilliant dive experience at Manado (how I envy my dive buddy who is still diving; he stayed on for 8 days while I could just afford time away from work for 5 days including the weekend ... darn, I actually missed Lembeh dive site!).
If you are an ardent diver who is passionate about abundant aquatic life (big and small), then Manado is the place for you - the wall dives were simply marvellous with great visibility of up to 20 metres. The only set back for me was having to brave the colder Indonesian waters (about 26 deg C) as compared to Malaysian waters (30 deg C) and the constant surge of currents from all over and thermoclines (I lost some weight these past few months due to long work hours and improper meal time).
What I saw at Bunaken Marine Conservation Dive Sites - crocodile fish, lion fish (they are everywhere), leaf scorpion fish, pigmy seahorse, razorfish, napolean wrasse (resident Lucy), mandarin fish (beautiful and rare indeed during my night dive), hawkfish, cow fish, goat fish, cat fish (sounded like a farm huh?), various nudibranches (blue-yellow, striped, turqouise), batfish, garden eel, sea grass, trumpetfish, razorfish, sharks, turtle (with remoras), ribbon eel, baraccuda, trevally... these on top of the usual sightings in Malaysian waters.
Dive sites covered throughout the 3 days of diving - Manado tua, Muka Gereja, Fokoi, Leguan 1, Leguan 2, Popo, Barracuda House Reef and Premas House Reef (heard from my dive buddy that Black Rock night dive was great; he extended his stay while I had to catch a flight the next day hence missed out on that, darn!).
Although we stayed at Barracuda Dive Resort, the lead local divers were from other places (they were specifically arranged to lead us as they were among the best there is at Manado - thanks Jacky and Martines for your sharp eyes, patience and perseverance to let us soak in Manado's beauty, quick wit and humour and your constant discipline towards safety).
We also got to experience night life in Manado as well as attend a cultural festivity by one of the hospitable folks at the former Minahasa Dive Resort (Thanks Ferris, for the wonderful food and company at your home). The news about the murder of a church priestess led us to experience security checks by the stoic police at one of the road blocks (what an experience!).
In short, I will go back to Manado to dive again in a heart beat; an experience I will remember for life. Hmm, maybe Sipadan will get a run for its money (given the cheaper flights) ;P
As for now, am planning my next destination - Perhentian? Sipadan Kapalai? Layang-Layang? Phuket? Have to discuss with the gang :)
Hey, my nickname is "Remora" given by my dive buddy. I am almost convinced that I am not cut out for deep wall dives (we almost hit decompression!) although I don't mind drift dive (so relaxing!) and reef dive. But hearing feedback from the guys telling me that I'm a safer diver than the rest of the girls, kinda inspired me to reach my aim of becoming a Dive Master (maybe in a year or two).
The only 'irritating' experience throughout this dive trip is that I have to be gracious about the unwanted attention; it became so unbearable to my gal pal to the point of irking her! Its not like I did not make it clear that I am seeing someone (mentioned his name countless times) Oh well, guess some people take the approach of "if you don't try you wouldn't know".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment